Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thanksgiving Place Cards

I have a large extended family and we live close enough that we often are together for Thanksgiving. I am the "usual" hostess for Thanksgiving every year. We all do our thing for Christmas.   This year our familial group will be smaller than it has been for years because other extended family units will be elsewhere --and for a variety of reasons.  One of the great nieces has a first baby due to arrive on Thanksgiving Day!  So her Mom and Dad and many of her siblings will also be there instead of here.  Other family members are in Australia and New Zealand, and their children are are with their in-laws. And other family members will be with family elsewhere.  So we only have 14 here this year.  Most years we have close to 30 or more.  Therefore place cards are a necessity for seating in tight quarters.

Depending on the year and who all is coming, I may or may not have enough place cards from previous years.  This is one of those years.   So I needed to make new ones. Since Thanksgiving is next week, this years place cards needed to be EASY!  And these are that for sure!



I saw the pumpkin pie somewhere on line.  There were no instructions and it was on a regular card.  I thought I could figure it out.  I had to do some trial and errors with different things. But here is what I finally did.
1.  I cut an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet of crushed curry card stock in four pieces and folded each piece in half on the longest side.
2.  I stamped the Scripture verse from Our Daily Bread Stamps at the bottom.
3.  I stamped each name in the top right hand corner.  I used PegZ alphabet stamps to create each name.
4. I used a "Happy Thanksgiving" stamp from Stampin' Up! on the pie after I cut the slice out.
5. I punched these parts of the pie using these punches and colors:
    2 1/2 inch mirror silver card stock for the pie pan
    2 3/8 inch scallop punch - one of each Very Vanilla and Sahara Sand
    2 inch - Really Rust
    Autumn Gatherings strip die (Tim Holtz) - Very Vanilla
6. I assembled the pie first. Sahara Sand  on the bottom then off set with the Very Vanilla scallop punch outs. Then the Really Rust circle in the center.
7. I punched out a scrap color with the 2 inch circle punch.  And because I have forgotten all of my geometry and how to figure out the center of a circle, I cheated.  I used my scoring tool and scored the circle at one inch, then turned it and scored again at one inch, and so on until I had the section of the pie to cut out clearly marked.  Then I cut out the section of the pie, and use the rest as the template.  I drew faint pencil lines to show where to cut on my "pie."  I cut out the piece of pie.  Then I adhered the rest of the pie on the silver pie pan. I "pulled out" the piece of pie on the edge and adhered it.
8. Then I used glue dots to adhere the pie to the place card - making sure that the words were straight.
9. I used scraps of very vanilla from punching out the scalloped circles and covered the smallest leaves on the die I chose. I used Winka Stella on the top of the leaves to resemble sprinkled sugar on the pie crust leaves.

And now here are all of the place cards together.


I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!





1 comment:

Penny Duncan said...

These place cards are adorable!!!! What a fun idea and something I bet all your family looks forward to seeing each year!!