Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Books Deconstructed

When I received this Technique Junkie Books Background stamp http://techniquejunkies.com/books-background/ in the mail from Pat Huntoon, my very first thought was of the Deconstructed Collage technique from a long ago Technique Junkie newsletter.  So I tried it but it didn't work out exactly how I envisioned it but that is OK too.  Often nice cards come as a result of our goofs, mistakes, or trials and errors.


The card above was my first try. Because I used embossing powder over Versafine black ink, all of the lettering in the books just melted together in squiggly line.  I had first used a variety of Colorations sprays on the white card stock and then I stamped with the Versafine black ink and used detailed black embossing powder.  You can find them here (they are mixed in with other Art Anthology products) - http://techniquejunkies.com/products-and-accessories/art-anthology-products/. I was disappointed in the look of the melted embossing powder and put that card stock and didn't use that card stock for a card until  many weeks had passed.  The final look sort of grew on me.

After I put the first trial and error aside (I actually had put it in the trash next to my work area and only a few hours later I rescued the card stock because I thought just maybe it is salvageable) I then worked on this one.

I used a variety of of colored dye based ink and stamped the books background on glossy card stock and set them aside to dry. Then I cut the "books" apart and then layered them again typically over the "base card stock" which was stamped in a pale gray color.

I used a portion of stamped area from  the bright pink ink punch a tag and layered the tag on other colors of card stock that coordinated with the colors of ink I used. I stamped the sentiment from the Technique Junkie stamp set Bookworms - http://techniquejunkies.com/bookworms-set-of-6/ - which has six different sentiments about books.    If you know a lover of reading these stamps are wonderful to use on cards for them.

Birds were punched out of other scraps from the deconstruction.

These book background and sentiments are just fun to work with.    I would love to see what you do with these stamps!

I hope I have inspired you to use some new stamps and to get inky today!


5 comments:

Beth Cutwright said...

I really like the looks of the first card Judy. You can send it to me as I love to read and my shelves are definitely overflowing! Lol

C. M. Taylor said...

Don't you just love it when our trial and error end up being something we not only use but really like in the end. Sometimes our vision in the mind doesn't work out but the final effect is not only different but beautiful! Thanks for sharing your art. I love the mistake and think it turned out with a masculine look and want to try it in the sepia tones.

Beth Norman said...

Lovely work. I love how you cut out all those books separately. I was thinking of doing it but decided not too because I didn't think it was "doable." You proved me wrong. The soft pretty colours just make your card pop.

Aimeslee said...

Good for you keeping the first one. Great job on your finished card. xoxo

Hetty said...

Great cards,Judy!