Monday, April 27, 2015

With Sympathy

There are times in all of our lives, all of us must send a sympathy card.  They are seldom joyous occasions.  And unfortunately, often these sympathy card needs do not come with a lot of advance notice.  So I always try to have several sympathy cards made in advance - just in case I need them.  My hubby and I go to Florida every winter for a few weeks to escape the severe cold in our area.  So I  nearly always create several sympathy cards in advance to take with us.  I have stamps and some supplies in Florida but not nearly as much as I have at home in my craft room.

Of course, then there are those occasions when a special person in our lives passes away.  Then I must create a very special sympathy card.  One dear friend was a collector, seller, convention goer of model trains.  Traveling to the west coast by train was on his "bucket list."  And he, his wife, and one of their two sons just a few months before he was diagnosed with a terminal illness. So when he died, I had to use a old fashioned train stamp on the sympathy card for his wife and family -- of course.

About a week or so ago, one of my dear friends passed away. She was 84.  She was not just a dear friend, at one time she was also my boss.  She was the principal at the school where I taught.  She had a rare gift of not only being your boss but she was also your buddy and friend.  She was the best principal I ever had. So I had to create a very special sympathy card for her hubby and family.  She was the type of friend that you could see or talk to today, and then not again for a few months and your conversation would pick right up again. We shared recipes, prayer requests, interests in each other's children and grandchildren.  I only knew one of her children and was acquainted with a few grandchildren, but she knew all of my children and was interested in my grandchildren. 
 
This is the card I created as our sympathy card for her husband and family.  I used a variety of stencils and art mediums to create this one of a kind card. It was a work of love to honor my friend.  It took me several hours to create it, but it was worth it. In the early afternoon, I used stencils to apply the textured embossing paste, the clear gesso, and the Crackle Paint.  All of that had to dry very well before I could do anything else.  Since I had to leave for several hours it was good. I can be  impatient waiting for things to dry to begin work.   I have also been sick for many weeks and unable to spend hours stamping.  It felt wonderful to have the energy to do this and a few other cards as well.
 
The Bible and flowers stamp is from Inkadinkadoo. The words are from Endless Creations.
 
Have a lovely inky day!
 
Judy

No comments: